TOOLBOX FOR SOFTWARE MIGRATIONSoftware migration only can be realised usefully by using tools, which are based equivalent to compiler construction on the theory of formal languages and on parser generators. We have extensive know-how and more than 20 years experience in this scientific field of informatics.
The base of all our solutions is pecBOX, a "Toolbox for Software Migration" designed by pro et con:
In pecBOX all our migration tools and meta-tools are combined. The migration tools cover all components of a legacy system. The tools shown in the graphic have the following functions:
- MaTriX: Modernisation of proprietary, antiquated user interfaces on server-based software systems. Modern technologies such as HTML5 and Ajax are used for the development of Web-2.0-based interfaces.
- CoJaC: Conversion of historical COBOL applications into modern Java enterprise solutions.
- MidaS: A tool designed as a Java Web Service with a SOAP interface. It is used among others for controlling the dialogue programs, information exchange and user management. It emulates the required middleware functionality in the migrated COBOL or Java servers.
- FiRe: Automated migration of data in different formats (databases, files).
- COBOL FGM: Tool for analysis, reengineering and redocumentation of complex COBOL applications.
The contained meta-tools are used to generate most of the migration tools. This significantly shortens the development time for new migration tools. Furthermore, already existing tools can be adapted to customer requirements quickly. The following meta-tools are contained in pecBOX:
- BTRACC: Parser generator based on the backtracking technology.
- mkObject: Modeling of syntax trees.
- ReTrans: Development of translators based on model-to-model transformation.
- CGen/PGen/JGen: Code generation from C/C++, Java or Perl syntax trees. These are used for the development of migration tools, which have C/C++, Java or Perl as target code.
- CFormat/PFormat/JFormat: Formatting tools for C/C++, Perl or Java using customised rules.
pecBOX gives us the ability to react on specific customer requests in the field of software migration fastly, flexibly and cost-efficiently.